Entry Period: 17 Aug 2023 – 30 Sep 2023 at 23:59 (PST)
The Remix Challenge has ended on 12 June 2023. However, everyone is welcome to continue redeeming the Remix License and submitting your remixes. We are more than happy to hearing your music!
Rakim ft. MC Yan / Our God
About this song…
“When you go through the emotions of “gun”, there is an ease at the end of that—when you have a catharsis and you feel like, I can move. I can relax a bit now. It’s that tenderness back again. It’s like, I’m so angry at the way you fucked me over, but then also I miss my relationship with these men that worked with me early on in my career. It was also a beautiful time, and they gave me a leg up.”
“The Way We Were” is a song by Kimbra off of her fourth album “A Reckoning.” The track was debuted live during her album preview tour in collaboration with SoFar Sounds in Q4 2021.
The Way We Were
Rakim is a legendary US rapper whose innovative style and poetic lyrics have transformed hip-hop culture. He continues to shape the genre with his exceptional skill and visionary approach, inspiring countless individuals to follow in his footsteps. His body of work includes timeless classics like “Paid in Full” and “I Ain’t No Joke,” standing as a testament to his enduring influence in hip-hop.
MC Yan is a trailblazer in Chinese Hip-Hop, known for his innovative style and harmonious fusion of cultural influences. As a premier rapper, lyricist, and vocalist, his music captivates audiences with powerful storytelling and thought-provoking messages. He played a crucial role in introducing hip-hop culture to the Chinese masses and has gained global recognition as a respected figure in Chinese Hip-Hop, inspiring aspiring artists worldwide.
Hip-Hop 50th Anniversary Celebration
"OurOG" Remix Challenge
Witness a groundbreaking fusion of East and West hip-hop legends in the “OurOG” Remix Challenge (Rakim ft. MC Yan) on OurSong.This dynamic collaboration echoes hip-hop’s origins, celebrating its 50th anniversary by fusing styles and remixing.
OurSong empowers global artists to co-create, collaborate, and distribute remixes effortlessly, ensuring rightful recognition and rewards. Join “OurOG” to honor hip-hop’s legacy, shape its future, and be part of the revolution.
Create an OurSong account and get the remix challenge license pass
Download stems of the song from the remix license
Remix it and give it all you got
Upload your Remix track to OurSong. And you’ve completed submission!
- Win a cash prize of $3,000 USD.
- Be the official remix of “Song Title (TBD)” and be released globally.
- Be announced on the artists’ social media, OurSong social media platforms, and other official channels.
- An exclusive trip to the OurSong LA Private Event (flights and accommodation included).
- Receive 10,000 OUR Token.
Top 10 Prize
- Win a cash prize of $500 USD each.
- Featured in the official remix compilation album of “Song Title (TBD)” and released globally.
- Be announced on OurSong social media and other official channels.
- Receive 1,000 OUR Token each.
Early Bird Prize
We’re giving away 3 Early Bird Prizes to participants who upload their remix to OurSong before 20 May 23:59 (PST) and garner the highest number of shouts. 3 winners will:
- Get a cash prize of $200 USD each.
- Receive a one-year subscription to OurSong Pro.
- Receive 1000 OUR Token each.
How Do We Select Winners
Winners are selected according to:
- Judges (70%) scores
- Number of Shouts (30%) a track receives during the campaign period. (Don’t know what “Shout” is? Check out this link!)
The winners will be announced on 30 June 2023.
text text text text text
Yeah, as long as you’re not infringing other people’s copyrights you’re good to do anything with the stems.
Sure. You can join as a DAO, an eth address, a virtual artist, a ai bot… whatever suits you the most. It’s Web3. It’s what freedom tastes like.
Yeah, there’s nothing in your license that’s against that as long as you’re a holder of the license pass.
Upon entering into the Challenge, you will be granted a Open License+ to use the audio files. In short, you can sell your remix and split the revenues with Rakim and MC Yan. However, this is only limited to OurSong platform. Only winners of this remix challenge can use the the audio file for any commercial purposes outside of OurSong.
Terms & Conditions
- We are hosting the Challenge as a promotional event.
- No purchase is necessary to enter into the Challenge. A purchase will not increase your chances of winning.
- The Challenge begins at 20:00 hours PST on 14 May, 2023 and ends at 23:59 hours PST on 12 June, 2023 (begins at 11:00 hours SGT on 15 May, 2023 and ends at 14:59 hours SGT on 13 June, 2023).
- Upon entering into the Challenge, you will be granted a Remix-Non-Commercial-Attribution License to use the audio files (the “Materials”) that comprise “The Way We Were” (the “Recording”) owned and provided by Kimbra Music LLC (the “Artist”) for the sole purpose of creating a remix (the “Remix”) to be judged in the Challenge.
- Other than the above purpose, you are not authorized to use any part of the Materials or the Remix created by you for any other purpose, including without limitation for commercial purposes outside of the Platform.
- You hereby:
- Assign all right, title and interest that you may have been conferred under applicable law in and to any Remix created by you to us;
- Represent and warrant that you own all rights, title and interest in and to your contributions to the Remix, and that you, either individually or as a group, have not used any material created by any third party not named as a contributor to the Remix, including but not limited to samples or co-authored materials, in such contributions;
- Agree to indemnify and hold harmless Our Happy Company Pte. Ltd, Kimbra Music LLC, and their respective directors, officers, employees, agents and other third-party service providers from any claims arising out of or relating to your use of the Materials, creation of a Remix, or any other activity on the Platform in connection with the Challenge; and
- Covenant not to reproduce any photograph and/or video image taken of the Artist at any meet-and-greet event for purposes of publication, promotion, illustration, advertising, or trade, in any manner or in any medium now known or hereafter devised.
- At or shortly after the end of the Challenge, winners will be notified via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) if their submission has won a prize.
- Prizes are described in detail here on the Challenge website.
- Winners are liable for any and all taxes related to their prize and will receive a Form 1099 from the IRS requiring them to declare the amount of their winnings.
- If there are multiple participants in the creation of the winning Remixes, the awarded prize will be equally shared and distributed amongst all of the participants of that submission.
- *The Virtual Meet and Greet session with Kimbra will be for 15 minutes and will need to be aligned with Kimbra’s schedule. The Meet and Greet is valid for six months upon the winner’s official announcement. This prize will expire after 20 December 2023 at 23:59 hours